Jacky's

The personal web log of Jacky Carstens

8:10:00 PM

O Shit

Posted by Unknown |

While I was studying for my degree I decided to do a third language as one of my subjects. I was very excited learning Xhosa. The tapes arrived after a month and every night I would be the faithfull student and practice my wording. All the X sounds.

Well my one college Blayi taught me a few swear words. I thought this was fun to hear me saying all these words. As you know people can sometimes be really nasty when you think you greating someone you actually telling them something totally different what you mean. So that was the reason why I asked him to teach me some words.

This Saturday I was working in the charge office in Hermanus. Two Xhosa youngster of about 20 asked my advice on a matter. I gave them my best advice and explained to them in detail what their options was. They were so impress.

So I thought that I will greet them in Xhosa and told them "Humba Ghagle" which actualy means go shit.

I remembered that that was the wrong one and try to rectify my mistake but two late. There eyes was big and then they burst out in laughter. I was so embarrest about my mistake. I send the tapes back and never tried Xhosa again.


Subscribe